||Also known as Fort Apugan,
this Spanish colonial era historic site was constructed in 1800 and is located at the top of the hill adjacent to the
Government House, the official residence of the governor. Fort
Santa Agueda was built to keep the bay and city of Hagatna safe,
and provided defense from pirates for trading ships that were
docked in the bay. Though
little of the former Spanish outlook remains, the only features
currently standing are some historic cannons and platform, it still offers a
spectacular view of Hagatna,
|and the Philippine
Sea; which is more than enough reason to visit the Fort Santa
Agueda historic site.
There is no admission fee to visit the site.
In 1800, Governor Manuel Muro constructed Fort
Santa Agueda, named after his wife, Dona Agueda de Camino.
The fort was constructed at the current location to prevent the
enemy from taking the hillside behind Agana. The fort was
constructed from ctu stone, silleria; whose terreplein, the
level platform where the guns were mounted, consisted of loose
gravel, cascajo; and sandy soil, tierra gredosa.
During the 19th century, the Russian explorer
Kotzebue in 1817 and the French explorer Freycinet in 1819 noted
Fort Santa Agueda during their voyages. By the end of the
century, visitors had judged the fort as useless, although the
Spanish continued to use the fort as a military storehouse.
After the American takeover of
Guam at the end
of the century, the United States Navy used the fort as a signal
station until 1933 when it became a Naval Government Park.
In World War II, the Japanese converted the fort into a gun
emplacement. As a witness, Japanese characters can be seen
in the concrete by the steps. After the war, Fort Santa Agueda again became a park with the modifications of an asphalt
surface, railings, and concrete steps being added.