Fort Santo Angel was one of
four Spanish forts in the
Umatac area and the oldest still in
existence. Perched on a rock on the Northwest tip of
Umatac Bay, Fort
Santo Angel served more as a watchtower than an armed fortification.
Today only some of the walls remain. A third and smaller lookout, San
Jose, was constructed closer to the water's edge on the Northern tip
of Umatac as Fort Santo Angel started to deteriorate near the end of
the Galleon era. By the 1850's, both forts were in ruins.